What is this contest about?
The Golden Cobra Challenge is a friendly contest open to anyone interested in writing and playing freeform larp. This is the sixth year of the contest! It will run from September 20, 2019 through October 16, 2019. Challenge end date has been extended.
What is a golden cobra?
Only the baddest-ass snake in the jungle, which is something you should always aspire to be. Rules were announced on September 20, 2019 and all submissions are due by October 16, 2019 at 11:59PM PST. Please note challenge end date has been extended.
In 2019, Golden Cobras will be awarded in six categories:
- The John Darnielle Special Judges Choice Award
- Best Use of Silence or Non-Verbal Elements in a Game
- Give us a game that uses silence or non-verbal elements in a meaningful, fun, or transformative way.
- Best Live-Action Online Game
- Give us a game where all players can participate online using any digital communication tool, such as Google Hangouts, Messenger, Twitch, Zoom, Discord, texting. Gameplay must be synchronous: all players are playing simultaneously and gameplay is clearly blocked out in time.
- Deepest Two-Hour Experience
- Freeform doesnt have to mean lightweight: give us a deep, well-crafted experience in 2 hours or less.
- Best Game for Players Dropping In and Out
- Give us a game that can gracefully accommodate adding new players on-the-fly, or players who need to leave as the game goes on.
- Best Game for New Larpers
- Give us the new game we can recommend to our larp curious friends that will get them excited and ready to larp more.
- A Physical Cardboard Box
- Direct Civic Action / Resisting Fascism
- Fanny Packs
What are the competition constraints?
In order to be considered for a Golden Cobra 2019, your game must adhere to the following:
- While there are no length requirements, judges will only read the first four pages of your submission (four total sides of 8.5x11 or A4 paper).
- The game must be playable with zero to minimal prep.
- The game does not directly reference material by The Mountain Goats (come on folx).
What are the Rules for Entering?
- Be a new, unpublished freeform larp. It is neither a tabletop roleplaying game or a video game.
- Present your game in a readable, playable format in a single file (pdf preferred).
- Submit only one game. Your name can appear on one entry but teams are welcome.
- You retain all rights to your work and ancillary material related to submissions, like play aids or commentary. These will by default be published under the name it was submitted under in the yearly free Golden Cobra Anthology and linked from this Website for the world to enjoy.
- The deadline for submission is October 16, 2019 at 11:59PM PST. To submit, fill out this form and email your game to email@example.com.
So who won in past years?
You can read about the winners and Honorable Mentions and Judges Choice Awards here
. Games from 2018 are posted here
Can I spread the word?
Please do! Find us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/goldencobra17
and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Golden-Cobra-Challenge-241492113182306/
Who are the judges?
Judges for 2019 are Banana Chan, Clio Yun-su Davis, J Li, Hakan Seyalioglu, and Evan Torner.
How does the Special Judges Choice Award Work?
The judges will select approximately 10 finalist games for overall prize eligibility.
Our Special Judge, John Darnielle, will review the finalists and pick his favorite from among them, then share a writeup of why he selected it.
I have more questions!
Check out the FAQ!
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.