What is this contest about?
The Golden Cobra Challenge is a friendly contest open to anyone interested in writing and playing freeform larp. This is the third year of the contest. It will run from 24 September to 15 October 2018
Golden Cobra Challenge 2018
The current Golden Cobra Challenge launched on September 24, 2018.
What is a golden cobra?
Only the baddest-ass snake in the jungle, which is something you should always aspire to be. Rules were announced on 24 September 2018.
In 2018, Golden Cobras will be awarded in five categories:
- Best Game About Something No One Writes Games About
- Best Resilient, Scalable Game For 2 to 20 Players
- Best Game That Teaches a Skill
- Best Game That Embraces Multi-Generational Play
- Judge's Choice
What are the competition constraints?
In order to be considered for a Golden Cobra, your game must:
- Support a flexible number of participants by accepting at least 5 different player counts. For example, a game that supports 3 to 7 players would be acceptable because it supports player counts of 3,4,5,6, and 7 but a game that only supports 8 to 9 players would not be (since it only supports two possible player counts).
- Judges will read the first four pages of your submission (four total sides of 8.5x11 or A4 paper). Additional materials don't count toward this total, but the judges only commit to reading the first four. Consider adding designer's notes or a libretto as well!
- Be playable with zero to minimal prep.
What are the Rules for Entering?
- Be a new, unpublished freeform larp. It is neither a tabletop roleplaying game or a video game.
- Present your game in a readable, playable format in a single file (pdf preferred).
- Submit only one game. Your name can appear on one entry but teams are welcome.
- You retain all rights to your work and ancillary material related to submissions, like play aids or commentary. These will by default be published under the name it was submitted under in the yearly free Golden Cobra Anthology and linked from this Website for the world to enjoy.
- The deadline for submission is 15 October, 2018. Submit your game to firstname.lastname@example.org.
So who won in past years?
You can read about the winners and Honorable Mentions and Judges Choice Awards here
. Games from 2017 are now posted here
. Games submitted for the 2018 contest will be posted by November 1, 2018.
What happens next?
Judges will read the games during late October and announce and run
the winning games at Metatopia, 1-4 November 2017
. The winners get bragging rights and everyone gets a new game they designed - and admission into the Golden Cobra'™s Circle of Power!
Can I spread the word?
Who are the judges?
Judges for 2018 are Banana Chan, Evan Torner, Jason Morningstar, Hakan Seyalioglu and Sara Williamson.
I have more questions!
Check out the FAQ!
or email email@example.com.